Thursday, July 13, 2006

Only 4 hours 'til Craftwerk

Funny how something like Craftwerk can be so exciting. I was reasonably blase about it, but today has been a frenzy of label making and ironing. Well, about an hour has been spent doing these things, which pretty much is my every spare minute with those short people and their constant demands (food? Why? Toilet? Clean and healthy environment??).

Of course, today isn't all about Craftwerk. I did try to go to the gym this morning. Really. I was in my ugly gym clothes and walking to the car (a massive 15 metres from our front door), and it became very apparent that my legs weren't working. This is due to actually following my gym programme on Tuesday, and consequently murdering my thighs.

So, question for the readers out there (and a vaguely sporty one, to include all those people I alienate with excessive talk of alcohol). Should I exercise when my muscles are suggesting it is a bad thing? Because my brain quite often tries to tell me the gym is a bad idea, and I'm becoming better at ignoring it.

3 comments:

Frontier Editor said...

Hmmm,

I suppose the cobbler at Craftwerk will be playing the theme from Das Boot at his or her booth?

Edward Sargisson said...

"Should I exercise when my muscles are suggesting it is a bad thing? Because my brain quite often tries to tell me the gym is a bad idea, and I'm becoming better at ignoring it."

Well that depends...

You don't get fitter and stronger from training - you get fitter and stronger from the rest *after* training. If you've done a good leg work out the day before then there's little point doing a good leg workout the day after that.

If your program has been put together properly then it will have all that worked out. Most gym programs are 3 trainings a week with a day or two off in between.

Alternatively, if you're really keen, you can do a good leg workout one day and a good upper body workout the next day.

Changes a bit if you're doing lots of aerobic work - like all the running I do. You can get away with a lot more training as long as you're careful about the function of each session. i.e. I'll do a fast, hilly, shortish run on a Saturday and a long, flatish, slow run on a Sunday. One session is for speed, the other is for endurance.

If your legs are still hurting two days after a training? Get over it and get back there!

Martha Craig said...

Thanks Sarge, I love the idea that the rest is the good bit...

I'm good at that.