Saturday, September 03, 2005

Bit of a fiasco - then bit of a triumph....

Well, the day started very early. For once I was relieved the kids were up before 6, because it gave us enough time to get organised. This however didn't prevent us being 25 minutes behind schedule. Nevermind, worse was to come.

Being a bit flustered, and feeling a bit embarassed about being late, we rushed to get the cart off the trailer. The cart doesn't appreciate being hurried, and decided to have a lie down - a lie down with a very loud BANG. I raced up to the kindy and grabbed the largest healthiest looking speciman I could find. He turned out to be a bit of a life saver, and as it turned out a useful bit of networking was done between him and Glen.

The coffee machine fell apart, and was dangling by its pipes and cord. The thing must weigh at least 30 kg, so I thought we were fucked. Magically it wasn't damaged.

The customers started queueing up almost straight away. To be honest a fair few were friends, which probably explains our profit not quite matching our outgoings.

I was delighted to see a few bloggers there. Emily was there with her crew, Brena showed up, which was lovely. Great to put a face to the name. And Kate came, which also was fantastic. I'm sorry if the chai was a bit sweet - I suspect I overdid the syrup, so you may have a credit next time. And Mr Reasonable, thanks for the best wishes. I think you were there in spirit!

All up we had a marvellous time, and it was a really good learning experience. I don't think we'll tip the cart over in the future, but it actually worked to dispel a bit of nervous tension.

Glen and I agreed that we loved making coffees. I was on milk duty, and somehow it all worked and all the practice obviously paid off. Perhaps I can thank the Zany Zeus organic milk - I'm told it really makes a difference.

I feel quite happy. I think it may be related to a diet of chocolate and coffee. Nirvana.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you guys too. Really, the coffee was lovely!

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the cart appearing in the Western Suburbs! :-)

Martha Craig said...

As long as there are no big hills... no really, I'd love to visit the western suburbs. I spent the best years of my life there and all (apart from these years)

llew said...

Scary start! Glad it all came together though.

Martha Craig said...

Thanks Llew. The topple worked really well to get rid of the nerves. What could go worse than that?

Kate Borrell said...

The chai was great! Not too sweet. It was great to catch up.