Saturday, August 13, 2005

Shopping! Help!

So that I don't have to bore everyone forever about how my computer drives me craaaaaazy with freezing and being large and uncooperative, perhaps you can spare a moment of your time to give me advice.

I am now thinking what I need is a laptop, which will discretely tuck away while not in use, and also act as a music storage device which we can plug directly into our amp. I'm also thinking that I'll set up a network with my computer I already have (which can go and live in our sleepout). I'm imagining that the laptop can then be wirelessly connected to the computer and the internet will go through that. Have I lost you yet?

This is infact turning into one of those posts I'll think seriously about deleting because it is so boring.

So I need a laptop. And I want it to cost about 4 cents. We had a look in the Sony shop today. Wouldn't lotto be nice?

And what do you reckon about second hand laptops? There seem to be some good deals on trademe - like the Vaio I saw at the Sony shop - which was about $3700 - is going for about $1500 on trademe. But then am I buying the same problems we're having already?

I'm very interested in what all you lovely people (well, I guess you might be total psychos actually) use and rate.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm finding this post quite exciting, but that's because I am a psycho after all.

Buy an iBook.

And if your Woosh thingy has ethernet output, then get a Wireless base station to connect to it. Problems solved, including that virus & spyware one (Macs don't have that problem... yet).

All this stuff is quite reasonable priced these days.

Martha Craig said...

Thanks Alan. We're pretty much sold on the iBook after looking at that site. Apart from anything else they're so goodlooking.

And they're brand new, so for about 7 minutes we'll be on the cutting edge of technology.

Miramar Mike said...

virus & spyware one (Macs don't have that problem... yet) - unfortunately not true, just a lot less of it.

Go for cheap as it'll be thrown out next year when you want to upgrade anyway. They're co,modities (comnputers) that should be looked at like shoes.

Martha Craig said...

Thanks Ben! I'll write a post now about what we've decided... all good advice, so really grateful for your input.

And thanks Mike, but we're just not the disposable consumer types... prob prefer something that will last a few years.

David said...

The choices are simple:

1. Buy an Apple and have all your friends think you're an unwashed hippy who should get a haircut and a job. Or...

2. Buy some other computer and run normal person's software on simple cheap commodity hardware.

I'll be in the market for about 15,000 of the things later in the year. Maybe I can sponge off your research and avoid having to do all that tedious selection process stuff?

Martha Craig said...

We're not familiar with those "unwashed hippy" types here in Wellington, but I assume if they're Mac users you're referring to people with designer glasses and a lot of style. Why don't you just slip in an extra order for me when you do your big purchase? I imagine you'd get a pretty good deal.